Friday, August 21, 2009

Amye's MS travails

Okay, so far here's the fun of tests and drugs:

In Feb '08 I went to the doctor with concerns about these sharp, stabbing pains in my head (temple & sometimes back of head) that would numb half my face for 1-2 min. Ed had been diagnosed with a minor aneurysm, so I was thinking the same thing - or at worst a minor stroke.

Anyway, Dr. Lees scheduled me for some strength and balance tests. The diagnosis was less strength on the right side, and that everything was slower & slightly off on my right side (smiling, hopping, waving, etc etc).

She scheduled an MRA/MRI. After these were read, she called me on 2/19/08 to tell me I had demylineation and lesions of the white matter. What? I was confused, but she didn't seem too concerned. She wanted to set me up on Neurontin to see how that would work.

Later I found out that demylineation & lesions in the brain are high indicators of MS. That totally floored me. Completely. After reading up on it, I realized that it's a high probability.

The stumbling, tongue tied syndrome, forgetfullness, walking into walls & furniture, the sharp pains & facial numbness - all are some of the symptoms of MS. Now I wonder if my foot numbness is related to damage to the sciatic nerve or MS.

Anyway, the Neurontin works very well. The pains have subsided for the most part, or lessened.

Since the move, I hadn't had it for more than six months, so I finally found a doctor and went over everything with him. He definitely put me back on the Neurontin and then scheduled me with a Neurologist in Hoffman Estates. He also feels that it's MS, however he can't make that diagnosis, only the neuro can. More than likely they will want to do an updated MRI/MRA and possibly CAT. Also an LP (lumbar puncture) would be required to do a definitive diagnosis.

Fuck that - I'm not having an LP. If the Neurontin works fine, then that's good enough for me.

I'll keep this blog updated.

No comments: